50+

YEARS IN BUSINESS

50+

BRANDS

40+

EMPLOYEES

5

STORES IN NC

In 1966, Jim Martin and his wife Marybelle, founded Transit Damaged Freight while Jim was still working for Glosson Freightways in Lexington, North Carolina. The damaged furniture was primarily what Glosson had, then Jim started buying transit damaged furniture from factories, other trucking companies, even some from the railroad. Jim started to add more and more new undamaged furniture through the years. He bought discontinued lines and close-outs and sold it at outlet prices. After building relationships in the industry, Jim gained access to almost all manufactures and their catalogs. For the ones he did not have access to, he used trucking companies. He later expanded from his Lexington store to offer 6 stores and 2 warehouse buildings across North Carolina. Jim's sons, daughter and grandchildren all began working together within the company.

In the early 2000s, Jim's son Jerry Martin took over alongside his sister Tracie Landreth and brother Tommy Martin. They helped to grow the Transit Damaged Freight name and continue the long history of providing quality furniture at affordable prices just like their mom and dad.

OUR STORY

In October of 2020, a new ownership team took over led by cousins John Browning and Timothy Barker. Jim Martin's grandchildren Jerome Martin and Jeremy Landreth are still a part of the team. TDF was and still is family owned and operated as John's wife Tammy, daughter Emily, and son-in-law Garrett DeFries all joined the company and the management team.

Nowadays, Transit Damaged Freight has been rebranded to TDF Furniture. We have updated each of our stores (new signage, new layouts, new POS system...etc.) We also carry some new brands that we have not in the past. Our stores are stocked weekly and we offer special ordering from 50+ furniture manufacturers. Check out all the brands we carry here: Brands We Carry!

Over 85% of what you find in-store is brand NEW directly from an authorized manufacturer and opened and inspected fresh out of the box/packaging. The other 15% could be factory closeouts, showroom samples, damaged in freight pieces, or discontinued items. Any damaged pieces we receive are taken directly to our repair warehouse to be fixed. Website products are all 100% new and special ordered and we offer in-home delivery and installation! Any item that you see in our stores can be purchased and taken home in the same day or scheduled for delivery. 

We are not a showroom that keeps items glued to the floor, if you see something you like, buy it and take it with you, or load up a truck!


OUR STORY
OUR STORY

"We will continue to be the premier discounted furniture store in North Carolina 
& stay well below our competitors and suggested retail prices."


- John Browning
Owner/Vice President